View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
iaflyer
seeing the large hubs...

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 73N A

Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
So... What do I tell them I want to fly when I call in to rejoin? I'm leaning towards 7ER out of LAX, 96% and sitting reserve, but I've heard it's doable from Phoenix? The drive is 6 hours and there are like 50 flights a day PHX-LAX. But then I read on here how much reserve commuting sux, and I think maybe holding a SLC37N at 63% and a line would be better?

Any advice you guys might offer would be great, this is the first real reading I've done since the old furlough lists and I don't really know/understand the reserve requirements vs. lineholder advantages.
Thanks!
Welcome back - I think it's great to be at Delta right now. I'm on reserve on the 7ER in NYC - so that's where my view comes from.

I'd pick the 73N in SLC - the ER is a nice plane and decent trips, but the reserve is tough. Short calls (max 6 a month) are a 24 hour deal. Typically in NYC I get 10am to 10am or 12pm-12pm, but they also throw out 5am to 5am at times (required two night in NYC to cover), so if you just sat short-call all month, that could required 12 nights away from home, just for the SC. The domestic planes are more of 12 hours on call, but I'm not sure.

One of the guys on here a lot, BuzzPat is on the 73 in LAX, he can fill you in on that. I think he's been going back in seniority also.

Having a line is really nice - you can swap trips, pick up more, drop trips, and generally have a better life than reserve. I'd also wager that a 73N lineholder would make about as much money as a 7ER reserve.