View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Razorback flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Uncoveraged...

Just so we know what we’re up against here folks:

For passengers in airports with the new full body scanners, the now preferred method of screening is going through the body scanner (go to the TSA site or do and image search to see what images they can see look like. Backscatter x-rays produce particularly accurate and graphic images of the male genitals. Females fare slightly better, though you can still make out a good deal of their shape. Millimeter-wave scans don’t appear to as invasive for either sex.) They can opt out, but if they choose to do that they will be subject to “secondary screening.” This consists of a very through search of their carry-on bags (including swabbing for explosives, apparently) as well as a pat down.
To add fuel to the fire, the TSA is converting to “enhanced pat downs” on October 31. They won’t give many specifics as to what this entails, but its been in a “test” phase in BOS and LAS over the last few months. (A search for “enhanced pat downs” will give you some info on what’s going on.) The folks who have been through the experience haven’t had much good to say about it. Even the mild examples have been very thorough. They use the front of their hand and palm vs. the back of their hand, and apparently will feel the underside and between women’s breasts, as well as (both sexes) buttocks. There have been reports that screeners have poked, prodded, and/or groped peoples crotches and/or genitals. Its not certain if this is part of the SOP now, or if the screener was conducting the screening incorrectly or abusively.

As per usual with the TSA, the treatment of crews seems to be varying widely from airport to airport. Some still don’t have the technology, you can avoid it by going to a different lane, or we bypass security altogether. Other airports we don’t appear to be required to utilize it. Still others if we opt out they don’t care. And yet others they are forcing crews to be scanned or opt out to secondary screening - and a few of course are being rude and/or abusive. This seems to be happening to both commuters and on-duty crews (from what I’ve gathered - please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Personally, I don’t believe this is an appropriate level of privacy for passengers or crew, and I don’t particularly want to have to choose between having my private parts either viewed or groped by a “light” criminal with a GED - just so I can go to work.

All I can say is be polite, be professional, but don’t tolerate any abusive behavior. Document, Document, Document the names and facts, and if anything questionable or abusive happens, contact supervisors, LEO’s, Reps, and Chief pilots as appropriate.

You can also send the facts to EPIC (Electronic Privacy Information Center,) as they have filed suit against the DHS for scanners violating 4th amendment rights, as well as several federal laws. You can also send the info to the ACLU, as they are another organization collecting information on how theses machines are being used, and potentially abused.