View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 AM
AxlF16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: 787 Captain

Originally Posted by EWRflyr View Post
As was said earlier, you can bet both sides are doing exactly the same thing. The UAL pilots are going to do things to try to get the upper hand in the SLI, as will the CAL pilots. I wouldn't expect anything less from either side WHEN IT COMES TIME TO THE SLI. However, regarding the JCBA, SLI shouldn't be a consideration when trying to negotiate a new contract for us all. At that table we are allies. At the SLI table we should be adversaries. Neither side should be trying to tackle SLI issues via the JCBA negotiations.

Get the JCBA done. Move on to the SLI talks. Reach an impasse and then move on to binding arbitration. Both sides present ALL the information they feel is appropriate to make the case FOR their position and AGAINST the other side. Let the arbitrator make his ruling. Simple as that.

I will agree that at times Jayson writes and comes across a bit "intense" shall we say. However, having dealt with him, he has answered my questions, he does care about the pilots vs. the company and is definitely an ally you want to have. I believe wholeheartedly that when the UAL integration takes full effect you will see a strong advocate for ALL the UAL pilots.
But certain issues inherent in our JCBA can (or could) affect SLI issues if looked at from a paranoid perspective. THAT'S when we should expect our MECs to work together to find the BEST approach in a collaborative manner --NOT become entrenched in the WRONG battle. For example, look at the pay banding issue... The design of the payscale has HUGE ramifications on the future of the pilot group. WE BETTER GET IT RIGHT! If we fong it up because we are focused on possible SLI effects, but it ends up hurting us later -- well that is plain stupid. I don't know the right answer, but the decision on structuring our pay is a STRATEGIC one, not tactical.

Somebody PLEASE answer these questions.

If UAL buys the A380, what would the pay be under the current CAL contract??

WHEN UAL takes delivery of the A350s, what is the pay under the current UAL contract??

What does the 787 pay under the current CAL contract??

What will the 787 pay under the current UAL contract??

The 70-110 seaters open up a whole 'nuther can of worms.
BL--Don't f*ck up my payscales because you're fighting the WRONG battle.