Thread: FFDO criticism
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 01:42 PM
OldAg84
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Any, usually behind the wing

I flew out of Baltimore BWI in May 2002, just after the TSA started- it may have been the first day. At the airport I saw all the same security staff in their new TSA uniforms- it made me proud! Not. At least the shirts were clean, but that's probably because they were new.

In any case, my security process went as such. I offloaded all my metal belongings, keys, change, Altoids box in my rolling computer attache and put it onto the conveyer. As I walked through the people scanner I beeped. OK. I was told I needed to be hand searched-"Fine, no problem", I said. As I moved ahead, nobody was watching me- there was no "handoff" to another security person. I thought about going but that would be wrong and I was also afraid I might become known as the "guy who closed BWI on 5/23" . So I said, "Excuse me, I need to be hand searched." Which I was-thoroughly- no problems with that. But in the midst of this I was asked if my bag had been screened- I said yes. But since I was not secure prior to collecting my bag it had to go back through. I don't have a problem with that per se- but now I've lost "control" of my own bag, I can see it for a minute or two- remember the two security questions? I finally picked up the bag and walked up to the supervisor and told him the story.

Let me close by saying there were plenty of people milling about; being shorthanded was not an issue.

I was completely unimpressed.