View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 PM
erictgill
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2010
Position: Student

Originally Posted by snippercr View Post
Although this will probably start another yay/nay college degree thing... the President of the University I work for gets paid ~$700,000. He has a degree in Shakespearing Philosophy.
I can't sit here and tell you that the Aviation dean at ERAU or UND dont make a nice salary. All I am arguing is that aspiring airline pilots need to be cautious of the field they are getting into.
What gives a entry level lawyer his or her value? Is it the fact he or she passed a bar exam?
Airlines are starting to look at it the same way. My opinion
How do we distinguish a knowledgeable pilot from a mediocre one?
obviously the pilot who studied aviation and has taken a core study with classes in meteorology and navigation has the advantage.
The pilot who studied business or history and completed his FAA certs on the side is not going to be preferred over the Aviation major.
There is only so much about flying covered in those little FBO hangers.

I am lucky, I start school in Jan for an Aviation degree. I have the new GI Bill paying everything- tuition, flight fees, and a monthly allowance to pay rent and most of the bills. This new GI Bill will cover my Aviation Degree and FAA Certs and on top of that my state is giving me 4 more years of college paid. The best advice i can give for anyone trying find money to pay for tuition and flight fees is join the military. I did almost 5 years in the army and deployed to iraq for a year.