Gets Weekends Off
DAWGS
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Dec 2007
  • Position
    No to large RJs
Quote: Pineapple, I would suggest to you that your willingness to settle for Option #2 goes to the root of ALPA's problems since the Duffy era. To wit; when Elizabeth Dole suggested she intended to have us all aim for the little cup, Captain Duffy was offered an alternative. Have the then 44,000 strong ALPA send tightly sealed fluid filled jars to the dear lady to express our displeasure. He was horrified and said we needed to just "go along."

ALPA's continued unwillingness to stand up and demand more has continued. Our profession as a result has been denigrated by management, abused by egotistical, headline grabbing politicians and made the butt of jokes by the travelling public.

Maybe ALPA needs to grow a set and stand up with everyone else for once...for the profession and the professionals. "Safety" is what it's supposed to be about. Once you compromise, it's hard to get it back.

Congress will support you when they see you have the public behind you. The public will support you when you stand up and say " we will not risk your lives over insufficient rest." And a few cancelled flights, with respectful PA's made to the passengers by the fatigued crew will end up going viral on YouTube like the JFK landing...and the media will be on board.

Then..."Dear Leader" Babbitt...a former ALPA President...will understand that pilots CAN stand up and be a force that he must deal with.

That's why maybe ALPA should stand up with CAPA, IBT, APA, SWAPA, USAPA, IPA and others...for once.

Ya' think?
Great post. I think if we had a union that represents us, a bright spotlight could be placed on what is really going on here. It is not about reducing fatigue. This has been released to the public as such. If it was really about reducing fatigue then NO PART WOULD INCREASE IT. There is no doubt ALPA is negotiating a less safe alternative. What they are planning to get in return....I don't know, but safety should be priority one. We have the public support behind us. We have the leverage.

And PG, you asked if I would rather have today's rules. I most certainly would. Flying 9 or 10 hours scheduled per day is less safe and more fatiguing, plain and simple. You even agreed. Anything over 8 should be augmented. ALPA is going against its founding principles and its constituents.