Thread: AGR to ART
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Nortonious
Careful w/that axe Eugene

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: HOTAS...and a SWA gear lever

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Anybody care to address the delta between O-4 AGR and GS-13 with pilot bump?
Shoot, I ran the numbers awhile back (when I was younger and better looking). Can't find the spreadsheet, but I seem to recall at around a 14 year major, the AGR began to pull away. Throw in the $25k/yr pilot bonus and AGR crushes ART.

Pretty sure my assumption included 48 UTA's and 36 AFTP's as well as 5% matching on TSP, but unsure of how much AD/AT I included. An ART used to be able to pocket a lot of extra cash by double-dipping, but in the current MPA crunch might be hard.

If you run the numbers again, remember that whenever congress gives a 3.9% (for example) payraise to Civil Service, it often comes out as 2.9% with an average of 1.0% for locality pay. The GS-2181-13 payscale does not get a locality adjustment, they just get that 30% bump above the baseline GS-13 pay. So yes, over time, that 30% bump reallys amount to something less than 30% due to everyone else getting the benefit of the periodic locality adjustments.

BTW-If you run the numbers, I'd be interested in seeing them.

In this day and age, hard for to imagine realistically thinking I could hunker down as an ART for 30+ years to reach retirement at any location. With all the force structure changes, just as soon as you commit to something, the rules change.