View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 06:13 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

LA,

Regarding resumes, there's no simple answer. (It depends). Remember that for airline jobs (flying), you're going to want to emphasize on your flying history.

When I was first starting out and applying for my first airline job, I broke my resume down into four basic categories. Flight Time, Education, Related Experience and Other Experience.

Related experience had everything that had anything to do with flying. This included flight instructing, ramp jobs, airline ticketing jobs, if it connected to flying or the airlines it was there. The other experience area covered exactly that- military service, management jobs, etc.

Since you are going to want to keep your resume to an appropriate size (one sheet of paper with reasonable spacing and font size), I would recommend consolidating whatever you can, provided that it gets the point across.

Something to the effect of:

1986-2006. United States Air Force (non-flying officer)
Multiple duty assignments. Achieved the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Postings and responsibilities included: Overseeing the latest and greatest super bouncy ball research and development. Training and mentoring up and coming senior non-commissioned officers on the proper techniques of filing excessive paperwork and implementing bureaucratic policy. Tasked to increase domestic security through the implementation of paper clip chains and rubber band ball radar assemblies. Successfully implemented multiple cost-intensive military programs which serve unknown purposes. Awarded the Purple Heart for injuries sustained through repeated consumption of black tar-like substance from a coffee pot that hadn't been cleaned since World War II.