Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM
groundedpilot
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: 7ERB

As a long time lurker I'm going to make my first post after returning to flying from being out for several years. BTW, what a difference a few years make.

This topic typifies the short sited window dressing approach our government seems to prefer. I understand the need for security and am willing to participate on any level necessary to facilitate this cause but believe there is a better way than what we presently have.

My concern is the overall lack of standards being applied to crews throughout the system. For example in several of our major "hub cities" we are allowed to bypass security via the "potato-masher" under the assumption that our airline I.D. and background checks have sufficiently vetted us as trusted individuals. In one city located in the western desert, think bright lights and show girls, the contracted van service drops us plane side on the tarmac. This is done with "only" the van driver showing his I.D. to a not so motivated security guard. Yet in other cities I'm being subjected to physical body searches that are just plain demeaning.

I'm certain we could collectively amass dozens of examples that demonstrate varying levels of security throughout the country. My concern is that we selectively enforce security law according to the whims of whichever local authority has control of the airport.

The only certain way to identify trusted crew members is with a biometric or physical system such as fingerprint/retinal identification. I'm not entirely familiar with the proposed system but is this not what Crew Pass is supposed to be? If so can anyone shed any light on why this system is not being rushed into service so that we can truly have one level of security throughout the airline industry while preserving our dignity.