View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Slice
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Originally Posted by LAfrequentflyer View Post
This young man/women's story is yet another reason why people should avoid FBOs and head to a training academy. You know exactly what you'll get and how much you'll have to spend.

Its frustrating when you as the student commit time / money / effort and in return are taken for a ride...

I've been there as a student - taken for a ride by a CFI. I've seen other students (AF gals that wanted to do more than push paper) get abused by CFIs / FBOs. I know of two 1st Lts that didn't complete their PPL - they decided aviation wasn't for them because of the way they were treated. I tried to get them to try another school in KSAC , but they were not interested in anything to do with flying. Unfortunate, both were outstanding ladies and good pilots they would have made.

Fortunately, one is at AFIT working on her Aeronautical Engineering degree at MIT. The other is at medical school @ UC Davis. The appitude / motivation was there.

If you want to fly for a living - spend the extra coin (try not to take a loan , save you $$$ if you have to , work two jobs , live at home, etc...) ad go thru a flight training academy.

If you're a student at a FBO - protect yourself...

Sincerely,
LAFF
LAFF,
For every Part 61 sob story there are 10 who had a fine experience. Academy's are over priced. If you do your homework and shop around you will be fine, especially with all the info on the web these days. You wouldn't stop at a random used car lot and buy the first car you looked at would you? Spending $ on flight training is no different. If you go into it blind you take an elevated risk with your cash.