View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 10:03 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

One thing to make note of is that it can be extremely difficult to make the jump from an airline job to corporate or charter flying, particularly into a job that has good pay and QOL.

It's my experience that many departments tend to shy away from airline applicants due the attitude that seems all to common among these pilots of, "That's not my job."

In the corporate world, your job description often goes beyond simply flying the plane... Immediately behind safety comes customer service and efficiency. And I'm not talking about the customer service that is common to the airlines. I'm talking about the customer service that is expected when your passenger is the CEO or President of a multi-billion dollar international corporation. Private jets aren't cheap. They do afford a level of service and convenience to their owners/passengers that most folks can't even imagine.

As a result, the daily jobs of a corporate pilot differ (sometimes greatly) from that of an airline pilot. In addition to being paid to figure out solutions to problems and offer alternatives (such as "The weather at XYZ airport is bad... we can't go there, but we can get you to ABC which is an hour away... is this acceptable?"), we are also jacks of all trades.

In corporate you may be expected load luggage, carry catering, do paperwork, clean the plane, make coffee, get ice, park vehicles, whatever. Of course there are hopefully some limits (although for the right price even I might be inclined to pick up the dry cleaning or mow the boss' yard...)

Keep an open mind, be willing to make an "entry level" move to corporate or cargo that might open other doors, and remember to keep in touch with people that offer advice or assistance along the way! The very well might be able to land you a lead or a job.