View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 12:07 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by AirWillie View Post
FlyerJosh, you say you don't fly as much and get to spend time with family etc, but aren't you basically on call with the company 24/7?

Yes and no. In the time that I've been employed with the company, I've had only short call out (IE how soon can you get here?). That was due to an emergency situation that needed response as quickly as possible.

I've also had one departure from home bumped up 12 hours (from an early morning to the evening prior) due to forecast bad weather (snow) that was supposed to move it. I found out about that with about 4 hours of notice, but it had been discussed even prior to that.

Otherwise, the number of "pop-up" trips has been nil. For the record, I'm "on duty" and expected to be legal to fly with relatively short callout Monday-Friday from 7am till 5pm. There's no "callout" time per se, however I am required to live within about 45 miles of the airport (I live about 6 miles away), and if I get the call, I'll do my best to make it there in a reasonable amount of time (1 hr is my goal, but I don't hang around home all day like I'm on reserve).

We typically know about our schedules well in advance though (at least a week, but I already know dates for far away as Oct 2007). Weekends are considered "off" unless trips are previously arranged, and the number of weekend trips is very low... Last 12 months I've flown a total of 4 days, and had three more where I was gone for training events, for 7 total weekend days or (minor) holidays worked.

Overall though, I'd say that my job and the QOL that comes with it is probably not the norm... It's nice to have executives that need to have the plane, but don't like to travel a lot or spend many nights on the road...