View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
aero550
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Citation II

My job is very similar to Josh's, except that I fly more like 350 hours per year, on average. I fly very few weekends and absolutely no holiday flying where I'm at. The key is to get with a company that only uses the airplane for business. Strictly business operations tend to not fly holidays. I also know my schedule generally one to two weeks out and can only recall 2 short notice pop-up trips in 9 years. These were also emergencies, and I was glad to help out. One was a company emergency and the other was an employee's family member medical emergency. They treat me very well, and I'm quite willing to help out where I can. Yes, I'm technically "on call", but my company doesn't abuse that fact in the least.

There are a lot of operations out there that are owner centric or family owned situations and that is a whole different animal. They do lots of holiday and weekend flying, and a lot of short notice "on a whim" type trips, but the upside to this is they are more likely to go to resort destinations and maybe allow you to bring your significant other along with you if space is available. Depends on what type of person you are as to how you cope with certain operations.

And as Josh alluded to, there are many other responsibilities that come with these jobs. Where I am, these responsibilities are strictly aircraft related, but can eat up a lot of ground time just the same. It's managable, though, and is actually good experience that can lead to things down the road. I am basically managing the aircraft and this entails needing to be knowledgeable about a lot of aspects. It's very satisfying to have this much control over the operation, though.