View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 AM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by floydbird View Post
Just for reference, we are considering a 14 hour duty day extending to 16 hours for unforeseen circumstances, and 11 hours flight time max. It seems like that is in the ballpark for the people that have responded so far? Others chime in please!
I think that is quite reasonable, although personally I'd rather see a minimum rest period than a max flight hour limit. I am much less fatigued by flying than I am sitting around FBOs all day long.

We unfortunately do not have published duty/rest times, and thanks to "those who came before me" and the precedent they set, duty/rest conflicts are the ONLY thing my boss occasionally gives me pushback on.

We work with our scheduler to "try" to use 14 hours max duty/10 hours min rest, but there are times where we go 16 hours for unscheduled delays in order to get back home. I want to remain flexible for our company & staff since they're REALLY busy in meetings on the road and I don't mind the occasional 16 hour day for rain to be made if we're not scheduled to fly early the next day, but do I make sure to tell our passengers when we have an early departure scheduled the next day so they understand why its important they stay on schedule.

Sometimes, the powers that be want to do 2 crews' worth of flying with 2 pilots and that simply doesn't work. Thankfully, contract pilots are an option if necessary and usually, we're able to massage the schedule to accommodate passenger needs while allowing us plenty of rest.

I have a feeling this IS-BAO racket is going to cause us to come up with something to put on paper, but one Stage 2 company's policy I've seen is quite flexible, starting at 14/10 and flexing up or down based on duty-on time, day room use, number of landings, augmented crew, etc.