View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
BoilerUP
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

You're just past the peak of the worst time in history to be looking for a corporate job...as such, there are many experienced, very highly qualified folks out of work. In this downturn, bizav folks took a much more severe beating than airline pilots did...

That said, the #1 thing you can and should do if you're thinking about changing segments is NETWORK. Networking might not directly lead to a job, but it could lead you to somebody who knows of an opening that works out for you. You can network on the internet (APC is good, *************.com is another) but nothing replaces folks you know - college friends & pilots you knew from your airline that made the jump previously are an excellent resource.

I spent 2 years at a regional before getting my current job that I've been in for 3 years. Compared to regional flying, the ONLY thing that is similar is flying an airplane point A to B - most everything else is different, and corporate departments run the gamut from a single Cirrus or Bonanza up through multi-airplane ultra-long range jets. Job duties & responsibilities are different, and some airline folks simply can't adjust. Its not just loading bags & filing flight plans - can you actually provide good service to your passengers with a smile? Do you care about light cabin cleaning or wiping bugs off after a flight/trip? If in a plane without a externally-serviceable lav will you balk at removing the honeypot?

Where do you want to live - are you flexible on that? What are your salary & lifestyle expectations? Do you have an ego about what kind of airplane you might fly? Can you be VERY flexible? Is the phrase "that's not my job" in your lexicon?

Again, given your qualifications I'm sure everybody knows you know how to fly a plane - its the intangible things that will (or won't) get you considered for a job. NETWORKING is key and others who have made a similar leap can give you first-hand advice...good luck!