View Single Post
Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Airborne1
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Furloughed -8

Originally Posted by JetBlast77 View Post
A friend of mine just finished class at colgan....we figured out after insurance and parking costs for commuting (not including a crashpad) he will be taking home around $9400 for the year! Throw in a crashpad in EWR at $250/ month that number drops to $6500!!! Do you really want to fly THAT bad? You can work almost anywhere else including fast food, be home all the time, and make way more than that. Don't people understand this? Why make the sacrifice just to tell your friends you fly a Q400? $6500 people!!!!!! My wife makes way more than that collecting unemployment!!!
I actually made more money collecting unemployment after being furloughed from MESA as a 2nd year DHC-8 guy. No joke. After you figure in commuting and all other expenses these numbers are probably fairly accurate. Wages are going to continue to get lower if pilots are willing to keep accepting them. Pilots keep accepting them because they believe in a huge future pilot shortage (not going to happen). Just my two thoughts.