View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM
GunshipGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Permanently scarred

Originally Posted by UAL T38 Phlyer View Post
Wonder why the TSA is now using more 'intrusive' measures, including full-body scans and pat-downs?

To hear the whiners, they are doing it for no reason. However, I 'm sure the screeners don't enjoy their new duties, nor would the TSA spend a lot of money on body-scanners when all Federal budgets are strapped.

I would think it is because they have credible intelligence that suggests or confirms that the terrorists are hiding explosives in the areas of their person that were previously 'off-limits.' I think it is also why the Feds are quiet or limited on explanations why this is necessary.

When you go to a doctor, it is understood that he may touch you.

Most states have an implied-consent law for driving, which means if you drive and are pulled over, the police can test your BAC.

No one is forced to go to a doctor, drive a car, or buy an airline ticket. If you choose to fly, you choose to be screened.

I would rather passengers be over-screened than let one more terrorist attack be successful.
Very poor analogy, bud. My doctor isn't going to tell me that by going into his office I've given up my right to not have my junk touched. Well, at least not yet...haven't made it through the thousands of pages of our new health care debacle. But the TSA is telling people they've given up their right to ask not to be felt up when they've entered the line, even if they elect to not take the flight.

"Whiners"? That's what you label people who are concerned about unreasonable searches? Sure, they're looking for something, but the discussion is: are these measures effective?, are they justified?, what is the cost? (in regard to dignity and personal rights), would they actually prevent an act of terrorism? (compared to other methods, e.g. Israel), are there better ways of catching terrorist?, and is the technology safe? to mention a few.

You have the mindset those in power love--don't question; just do what you're told to do.