Thread: SlingBox
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
FlybyKnite
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: B777

Originally Posted by Doogs View Post
One of the key infrastructure requirements for a good Slingbox connection is the *UPLOAD* speed of the internet connection at your house.
Good point! Because the box is uploading the signal for you to download. We have FIOS, so I worry more about my download speed on the other end.

Originally Posted by skipdragon View Post
D-Link Pocket Router. $40 on Amazon. It is the size of a deck of cards. Works great and plenty of security options.
Bingo. I really like it when I walk into my room overseas and my iPhone automatically connects and downloads my email. I don't have to boot the computer to make a skype call. And I'm not stuck sitting in that uncomfortable desk chair all the time. Well worth the $40-$60 investment.

Should also mention that it is also an additional layer of security for your computer. 'They' know the addresses of every wired connection in every hotel. With a [travel] router, when someone tries to probe/attack the computer on that wire they don't find a computer, they find a router wall instead. Haven't registered an inbound attack since I started using mine, YMMV.