View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 08:36 PM
TOGA LK
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009

Originally Posted by Mike Hancho View Post
Thanks TOGA LK. That is as clearly as I have seen this explained. I am a new hire and based in DTW on the 320. I live about 300 miles from DTW and live near an airport with three Pinnacle CRJ 200 flights a day to DTW. Was curious if anyone else has a similar situation. Am curious how much of the time I need to stay in DTW the night before unassigned long call days.
You are welcome, glad I can help. The first thing you'll likely have to establish is what periods of time exist on various days of the week that you cannot make a 12-hour callout via three -200s. Read the call in honest very carefully, it requrires a jumpseat that is booked (which you cant do on other carriers) or seat availability (you non-rev with enough open seats that your seniority should get you on the flight) 24 hours prior. My commutes are all mainline, but I think one of the two flights has to be mainline to count. Also, it is only after you have tried twice that the call in honest policy kicks in, scheduling may positive space you (which would be a third flight) or they will likely convert your trip or reserve days to a PD, depends on staffing and the scheduler. There is a rumor that the old NWA call in honest policy apples to DTW, MSP and MEM, but I have not seen a copy of this policy anywhere, it's surely not in the contract.

For three years I only played reserve roulette a few times, lately commuting home the night prior to my last day if on long call the last day. The entire flight I sit in wonder if my phone will have a (404) area code in the voicemail inbox for a trip the following am. Hasn't happened in the last three times, but once they did call at 21:00 for an 0900 show, fortunately I was in base.

I was never taken off guard, but I also spent 99.9% of my short calls and long calls in base, 2000 miles from home as a newly wed (she has a career too). It's been a total crud deal like you cannot imagine but it was a hedge against what lurked as an inevitable furlough. If it weren't for the merger I had full planes to commute one year, accrue some seniority and pick a base. In your favor, its a six hour drive and the likelihood of having a 15 hour day and five legs is nil. Hockey has a bunch of experience with the 320 and reserve, a hotel for shortcall or assignments the following am is probably your best bet, you will fly quite a bit. Just stay out of trouble until you get those 400 hours (you'll have them by summer).

There is an LOA in regards to the last day. If you are on long call the last day, you are released at noon base time. If you are on short call and it's followed by golden days (*) you are released at noon. If you have normal days off (X), then you are on the hook till the end of your 12 hour period, I think they can let you go up to 2 hours early. Short call the last day is rare, have seen some crazy stuff however.

Call and check VRU after a trip

The reality is a six hour drive is your get out of jail card in the event a CRJ is landing weight restricted (as I imagine the case with only a 300 mile leg).

Hockey is dead on about the rules and what to expect on the 320