View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by rvrabel2002 View Post
The problem is I don't have a FL drivers license. The reason behind this is I need to be a permanent resident of NJ in order to be covered under my fathers health insurance policy.

So I guess the question is, If I list FL as my permanent residence on airline apps, but my license is from NJ, will this raise red flags to the airlines?
I doubt they will even notice. Military guys do this all the time (it's legal for us). If they ask, I would probably just tell them about the medical insurance..I seriously doubt anyone would hold this against you. It's not like you are cheating on taxes...NJ taxes are higher than FL.

I guess this kind of relates to the question above in a way. I had a speeding ticket 8 years ago, but cant remember the specific date that the infraction occured.

The other problem is, I cannot retrieve my driver history beyond 5 years, but since the infraction happened beyond then, does the specific date matter?
Just give them the approximate date (and tell them it is approximate!). That way if they do find it, they will be able to correlate it to the one you disclosed.

This is a big one. For the past 10 years I have held numerous jobs. One job, for instance, involved me working out of several locations across the state, where I had several different office locations and different supervisors. Sometimes, I was only at a location for 2 or 3 months.

This was all under the same company though, so do i need to list every single location and supervisor?
That might depend. Do all of your pay stubs show the same corporate address? Can you use one supervisor as a reference who will vouch for your employment for the entire period? If so you could probably just use the main address and mention in the notes that you performed temporary assignments in a variety of locations.

The key here in my mind would be your home address...if that changed with every job location then you probably need to list them all.

This is common for entry-level pilots...lots of jobs and addresses. If in doubt, list them all. It doesn't really hurt anything to take up space on the app, and you DEFINITELY don't want to omit something which might give the impression that you have something to hide.

I have had a completely clean record, passing every checkride for my ratings and part 135 checks.

However, I did get a warning letter from the FAA last year because of a problem I had with my former employer.

I cannot go into specific details with the forum, but my employer "threw me under the bus" by assigning me in an airplane that was apprarently grounded.

When I say he "threw me under the bus", this is an understatement. Even the FAA Investigator told me that my employer did me wrong in this instance.

I understand I was at fault, but I resigned from the company the following day due to safety concerns (rightfully so!).

My question here is, Do I blame the employer for his negligence, when he was clearly at fault, or do i just bite the bullet and say "Oh yeah, im such a crappy pilot that I felt I just couldnt work for him anymore"

Sorry for the loaded question, any help would be appreciated.

This one is kind of tough.

Read the application questions very carefully. Do they specifically ask about warnings? If not, you may not need to disclose it on the app although it is likely to come up as an interview question.

If it needs to be addressed, you will need to take full responsibility and tell them what valuable lesson you learned.

Your situation is dangerous though, because telling the truth involves saying bad things about a previous employer. It is also complicated by the fact that you resigned...the combination of warning letter and resignation may lead an interviewer to suspect that you were allowed to resign instead of getting fired.

I assume you cannot rely on the employer for a good reference? That would actually help if he might be willing to do it.

In this case you probably need to tell the truth, but in a very short and succinct version. Basically take responsibility for the violation, but tell them that you had lost faith in the employer's commitment to safety and resigned for that reason. You can tell them the employer set you up for the violation but take responsibility for not catching the problem. Try really hard to avoid whining or blame shifting, and keep your explanation as short as possible.

I imagine Lori will have some thoughts on this too...