View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
newKnow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 765-A

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
Knew N,

With nonsensical scope limits, we do have real exposures to market forces. Does anyone doubt that the Company (and our Union) would seek to maximize revenue if a serious threat existed to the Company's survival? Both sides would be telling us how smart it would be to utilized outsourced flying to its maximum certified capacity. (That's the OBJECTIVE limit) In a serious downturn does anyone seriously think $40 million dollar regional jets under long term contracts are going to get parked, when management already touts the flexibility provided them by operating a fully depreciated mainline narrowbody fleet that costs little more than fuel for the trip to Victorville?

(... and before the apologists start talking about 50 seaters, no, I'm talking E175's that could even replace our Latin America work)

ALPA will never come right out and say we now have to compete with the alter ego airlines they assisted in creating, but that's the truth of the matter.
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
The really twisted part about all this newK, is that OUR UNION SHOULD BE MAKING THIS CASE TO US! Why the hell should we be trying to convince our own union, and then convince management? Why does it feel like we have two adversaries instead of just one?

Not P***ed at you, just venting about the fact that your post illustrates what a non-union feeling it is to be part of ALPA.

Carl
Carl,

Never let it be said that I am one who is slow to concede a point. Touche'.

I will offer a weak defense of ALPA in in that my APC disagreements on negotiating expectations are with people who are only rumored to be ALPA officials. If they are higher-ups in the organization though, they have dropped the ball. But, this still does not absolve ALPA when it does come to communications about our expectations for 2012. They have done nothing and, in my opinion, they are missing a golden opportunity. Yes, it does seem like their ineptness does at the very least make them an obstacle - another hurdle to be jumped so to speak - if not an adversary. That's pretty sad.

Bar, here is where your post comes in. My previous post states my belief that we as Delta pilots should be proclaiming that we will not be hedged in to a negotiating position because of what American Airlines pilots do or do not get. Hell, it might help them get what they want. But, we should also be offering full support for our brothers and sisters over at the new United in their efforts to end the outsourcing of our flying. Unless, I've missed it, we have been largely silent on the issue.

In my opinion, this is the perfect time for us to be:

1.) Supporting AMR pilots efforts to obtain a restoration contract by letting AMR management that Delta pilots "want it too." &

2.) Supporting United pilots efforts to get rid of the rj's by any and every means we have available to us. (Public statements, picketing along with them, etc.)

To me, the bottom line is; in 2012, Delta pilots should aim for a contract that, at a minimum, realize the gains that AMR and UAL pilots are aiming for. The bottom line is that either we want what American Airlines pilots want and we want what United Airlines pilots want, or we are willing to work for less. To me, any statement -- written, verbal, or one that can be implied by our silence -- that we are willing to accept less than them, in a very real sense, signals to their managements that we are the ones who are willing to undercut those pilot groups efforts-- and that sucks.

New K Now