Thread: My $0.02

Bustin , 11-28-2010 10:40 AM
Line Holder
Bustin
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Jun 2005
Quote: When I started flying pilots made a lot more money and had a better quality of life. Had I or my classmates known what lied ahead I am sure that we all would have chosen something else.

I love to fly as much as the next guy but I love myself and family more. A profession that demands as much as aviation does has a lot to live up to.

Fly for fun as a hobby. Work to make a living. Aviation costs a fortune to get into and should pay a fortune in return. Imagine if dentists made 30K after all those years in medical school and as interns. No one would do it.

Skyhigh
I can't argue with you there. In terms of home and family life, the current pay structure and work rules in aviation hardly make it worth it. And your point about dentists is about to be lived out in the airline world. When the pendulum swings back and the airlines are looking for pilots again it's going to be an issue. Before the economy crashed regionals were already having a hard time finding qualified pilots. This, of course, should eventually work in our favor to improve pay and QOL to draw more interest, and pilots, back into the industry.