View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Balut
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Pecan View Post
I'm currently an iPhone user with no laptop. Looking at getting an iPad or MacBook (air/pro/etc.) to simply life on the road: Bidding, LIDO flight planning, web surfing, email, CFM study etc.... I do not use Bid X because of my juniority. I also would like to get an iMac at some point and dump my PC desktop.

I love the portability of the iPad, but am wondering what most folks' experiences are with it. Please chime in!!
I sold my laptop and bought the 16GB 3G iPad back in June. I primarily use my device for email and internet. It works for me. Here are some FDX specific issues/workarounds I use:

Lack of Flash and a camera doesnt bother me. I don't video chat as the connection speed I typically get is too slow. Cannot do LMS on the iPad (needs Flash), but CBT works fine.

Cannot run BidX on the iPad. My workaround is to use LogMeIn to remotely access my home PC for my bid if I am on the road. Currently using the free service with the $30 app, but there are cheaper alternatives of the same thing.

<<Disregard. Discovered easier method; see my reply later in this thread>> Only program I have run across to allow direct download of LIDO to the iPad is iAnnotate. I think the free app iRead from the same publisher will also download LIDO. I use GoodReader to view PDFs.

Latest iOS update (4.2.1) seems to have broken ability to do expense reports. I get kicked out every time I try to access the reports. Haven't found a solution yet.

Bought ForeFlight subscription for $75/year. Nice to be able to view weather and NOTAMS on the fly. There are also less expensive alternatives.

Using TextNow and WhistlePhone for communication simply because they are free.

Have several educational apps and game for the kids. Makes long trips more fun for them and they were begging me to do math games over summer break.

I occasionally rent movies from iTunes to watch on long flights (i.e. Deadheads and Jumpseats). Can also download several free video podcasts.

I agree that the next gen iPad will be better, so if you can wait that is fine. But it sounds like you would like something now. If you do decide on a Mac product, I agree that you should get a refurb. Pretty much new quality with a full warranty. Good luck.

Last edited by Balut; 12-02-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Clarification on when I watch movies