View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
clipperstall
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Desk: Designing Instrument Approaches/Departures

Nope. Working for the FAA. We do everything from RNPs and SIDs to issuing NOTAMs. Let me make this clear, it is a great job and I don't plan to leave nor do I want to leave-- I just want to know what (if anything) I am missing by not flying daily as a career.

I realize no one can make that kind of decision for me, but what I don't realize is what the grass is like on the other side. How different does an aviation career differ from personal GA flying? I guess I was looking for a glimpse into the joys of flying the line vs. the satisfaction gained by flying on your own dime on weekends etc..

I read a lot about the negatives here, but rarely see comments highlighting enjoying moments of the professional pilot career. It would be nice to have those kind of ideas to weigh against the negatives in order to get a proper depiction of what life is (can be) truly like.

The grass is always greener.. I'm just another pilot trying to find a balance between QOL while trying to satisfy my aviation bug.