View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 PM
mastercraft
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 737 FO
Default The AirTran Pilots' Windfall and SLI

I saw this posted on a thread elsewhere and found it very interesting. It looks like the AirTran pilots will have a tough battle ahead!

I know there have been a number of opinions on the AT pilots' windfall and its relevance during SLI. Some have stated none of the numerous gains for the AT pilots can be considered during arbitration. A friend of mine from Chautauqua sent the results of their arbitration with Shuttle America. It was a 24-page document so I took several relevant quotes from the arbitrator in his summary and explanation.

>>>Arbitrator- Richard R. Kasher, Esquire
October 19, 2005

"It is clear, when one considers routes flown, cities serviced, the two carriers' relative financial condition, fleet size and fleet type, that the equities weigh so heavily on the side of the Chautauqua Pilots as to virtually obliterate any alleged equities that the Shuttle America Pilots claim they bring to the merger."

"Simply stated, the rates of pay, rules and working conditions in the Chautauqua Pilots' collective bargaining agreement, are far superior to those found in the Shuttle America Pilots' collective bargaining agreement. As a result of the acquisition Shuttle America Pilots will be the beneficiaries of the superior rates of pay, rules and working conditions found in the Chautauqua Pilots collective bargaining agreement."

"A date of hire seniority integration, while it might not significantly dilute the seniority of the Chautauqua Pilots, would, to some extent, constitute a WINDFALL BENEFIT for the Shuttle America Pilots."

"This Arbitrator agrees that the "reasonable" career expectations of the two pilot groups is the benchmark for determining what is fair and equitable in this case."

"On this basis alone, the integration of Shuttle America Pilots into the Chautauqua operation has substantially increased career expectation for the Shuttle America Pilots, far beyond what they could have reasonably expected when they "signed on" as pilots for Shuttle America."<<<

The arbitrator accepted the Chautauqua Pilots' proposal and as a result, the most senior Shuttle pilot was inserted at approximately 70% seniority and the Shuttle captains DID lose their seats.