Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM
lolwut
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: Doing what you do, for less.

Originally Posted by mooney View Post
it is a very small percentage getting that. maybe 10 guys if that I'm guessing. But yes that is a bit excessive...

to play devils advocate and watch the arguments, is it stealing when someone who has been here 2 years and is going to get a hypothetical $2000 wants to take $3000 of the guy's money who has been here 5 years and was going to get 8K but is now only gets 5K because the 2 year guy thinks he deserves as much? who has lost out on more lost wages/bennies over that time period?

hold on lemme make some popcorn...

fwiw my bonus is about middle of the road any way we do it so i'm not totally biased...
If its retro pay, make it retro pay. Negotiate for it. My guess is the junior guys will still get more money than today (bigger percentage increases to the junior pay vs senior).

If its a signing bonus, make it a signing bonus. Sure, you can add in something here and there maybe to benefit those who have been under the expired contract longer, but everything should be within the same range. There shouldn't be one pilot making more than say, twice, any other pilot.

40x is completely ridiculous. You're supplementing your income off the backs of your fellow, poorer, pilots. I'm still astounded to hear this. Its people using their influence and power within the group to vote their way into the collective pocketbook of the pilot group. The extra money they're getting isn't coming from them successfully negotiating it from the company, its coming from their fellow pilots. And thats wrong.

Personally, if I was you guys, I'd take all that money and use it towards something for the pilot group as a whole. Use it to buy the best lawyers in the world and negotiate yourself a good contract. Or use it to lobby politicians to be able to strike. You'll make the money back quick.