View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Fly Boy Knight
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

As for advice, teaching is the way to go. As a CFI, you can actually STOP paying for your experience AND you will be amazed at how much you will learn from the experiences (and mistakes) of others that you fly with. Once you have your CFI, keep going and crank out your CFII and MEI too. You never know what will come along down the road and if one day you get offered to do three people's initial private licenses in a seminole somehow, I am sure you'd be quite annoyed if you couldn't do it because u didn't go for your MEI way back when. Trust me, I know! Get your CFII and MEI asap as well!

As for finding work as a CFI, the biggest thing is get out there and meet people and be what we all love being, an airport bum! Once u have ur CFI, you are rather valuable to pilots because they need BFR's checkouts, etc from u so the best thing u can do is meet people. Apply for any CFI job you can find and if that doesn't work, then hang out at local FBO's and shoot the breeze with the pilots that pass through. Being an airport bum and telling flying stories and pilot jokes to whom ever will listen really shows fellow sky-lovers just how much you love flying and you'd be surprised how often a casual "Hey! Nice Plane! She's a real beauty!" can turn into 3 or 4 BFR's, IPC's and countless other dual (and fun) flights!