Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Skygirl
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by mike734 View Post
Good. The public needs to spend much more on flying. They have been spoiled for too long. Flying is cheaper today than ever before. Let them drive if they don't want to fly. HA.
Hmmm...I've been thinking on that one Mike. I agree that airfare wars were ruining the industry, both for the crews, as well as the traveling public -they definitely needed to be raised. But truly, do we know what effect consolidation is going to have on the passengers, as well as you pilots? Would it cut many routes (and put many pilots on furlough) and raise airfares so high that the traveling public opt to drive instead of fly?

I can't even begin to imagine what effect it might have on you pilots, if say, a CAL/UAL merge happens, but speaking from a different point of view in the same industry, I'm concerned. My latest issue of the travel industry bible states that although leisure travel has gone "slightly" up, business travel is down. Business travel has long been the bread and butter of the airline industry, booking last minute, and paying the higher fares, but all of my industry sources are saying that business is clamping down on business travel and opting more for video and conference calls. It's a very cautious time and I am carefully following the weekly trend reports that I receive. Last year was an upswing, but it's starting to fall. Hotels, rental cars, etc. all made huge jumps in rates over the last year. Couple that, with giant airfare leaps = companies clamping down on travel expenses....it's a bit nerve-wracking for us all.