View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
capncrunch
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Bucking Bar View Post
Prater's Pilot to Pilot letter in the December Air Line Pilot, states:

"Sometimes we blame other pilots for what has happened in our own careers ... . Sometimes we even blame other pilots for flying airplanes we gave up the right to fly."

The reality is that ALPA is a huge army of labor that National has chosen not to unite. Each airline is a foxhole that is so far separated from the next foxhole that management can run through our line all day long. It's getting to the point where a different general is not enough.

After reading Prater's article, it reaffirmed my conclusion that ALPA does not understand the basics of trade unionism. At the highest level, our leadership fails to grasp the concept that unity (as in all flying performed by seniority list pilots they represent) is the foundation that gives our association relevance.

Completely agree.

Cap'n, Moak was in the best position to obtain expansion for the regionals here at Delta, where we voted for our outsourcing schemes. We negotiate our contracts and it will be up to you, me, Tim O'Malley and another 12,000 pilots what we decide to outsource in the future. Our MEC says we will not erode scope further. I trust them, but will verify and lead a no vote campaign against further outsourcing if it happens. Overall, I think (hope) the political tide has shifted on outsourcing. Everyone here on APC has played a role in educating our pilots on the issue and shares some credit for that shift.The DPA has an uphill battle. A union's foundation is built on the concept of creating and representing a monopoly on labor. Structurally, the DPA does not have that tool in its tool box.
ALPA may have the tool but it does no good if they leave it in the box.

Fundamentally I think we agree. How to get there still remains a question. If ALPA can and will do it, good deal.