View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 PM
flynavyj
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC

Well, i'm torn between Asher and everyone else on here...I actually just mentioned to my wife (non-pilot) that there's a guy online with 168 hrs and about to nab his CFI...her response "that doesn't seem like near enough time". On the other side man, that's awesome if you've got all the ratings done and are polishing off your instructor certification with under 200 hrs in an airplane, and incredibly impressive.

When i went through school there was one guy i took private pilot ground school with who was a natural stick, and had the ability to absorb flying information like a sponge. He knocked out his private in a semester, his instrument in the next, and had his commercial finished off before sophomore year was through. When i was working hard at getting my commercial he was already picking up flight students and building time to head off to the airlines.

So if i was in your boat, i'd keep plugging away at resume's, knock the sox of them at interviews, and really push for that FIRST job...That's going to be your foot in the door, after that it'll be "easier" sailing. I do think it's going to be tough to find an instructing gig at those hours, but i'd be banging down the door in Murfeesburo trying to knock out a deal.

PS, the cost of aviation i guess has gotten rediculous. I started college in 01, graduated in 05 with a B.S. in aviation tech from CMSU (now UCM). 60k for everything which included my undergrad, flight costs were appx 30k...and i still consider that crazy...Private-CFII.