14CFR
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: Chief Pilot
Smile

Originally Posted by dlb4a View Post
Here is the breakdown from my resume.

Total………………………...168
Diamond Star 20…………..1.0 (spin training for CFI)
Pilot in Command…….…67
Diamond Star 40……….121.8
Single Engine…………….154.8
Piper Arrow 28R…………..26.8
Piper Seminole 44………..13.2
Multi Engine……………….13.2

(logbook has 33.8 sim hours)

At Middle Tennessee State University the flight school's training is predominately all proficiency based. If one can get into the aircraft and show that they can handle the regs's requirements then they can advanced; however we do have an intensive syllabus which includes: Private Pilot Cert, Instru Rating, Comm. Cert, Multi, CFI, CFII, MEI, High Performance, and Tail Wheel.

I may not have a load of experience flying airplanes but I am certain I can handle a greater difficultly level of flying than you gentlemen give me credit for. My initial CFI checkride is Dec. 21, 2010 (next Tuesday).

Again, If anyone has helpful or considerate information to pass along, I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.mtsu.edu/aerospace (For those who need HARD facts.)
We as pilots have a tendency to put our feet in our mouths occasionally, so just take it with a grain of salt. Many who speak in absolutes, especially with regard to part 141 are misinformed. For instance, it is feasible for a pilot to acquire commercial certificate(s) with less than 190TT. It would have to be done under the "Special Curriculum" section of 14CFR Part 141 and would also have to be "blessed" by said 141 pilot school's Principal Operations Inspector/FAA, which would be a feat in and of itself, but not impossible.

On the good side, congrats on completing your commercial certificate(s) within such low time, I do hope the quality of instruction was high (an occurence which is not very common anymore).

It is an extremely hard market for pilots of all levels at the moment, so just breathe in and out.

First, I believe the only way you are going to be successful with your credentials as they currently are listed is to look at your certificates as a license to continue learning. This is the same truth that all pilots should abide buy, but few actually do. Likewise, by "successful" I do not simply mean financially.

Secondly (on the more negative side) I highly doubt you will be able to find a financially viable flying career (one that will fully sustain you) with your current qualifications. The easiest reason for this is insurance. I personally don't know of any insurance provider who would insure a PIC providing commercial services with that low of time without the candidate having gone through some formal training program centered around said aircraft's make and model (Flight Safety, SimCom, etc.) followed by some sort of pseudo-extensive initial operating experience (IOE) regime. These are high $$ training outlets and are most commonly paid for by a pilot's employer, but can be acquired independently. Now, miracles do happen everyday, so never stop looking and networking!

My most immediate advice would be to try to acquire some right-seat time in an aircraft certified for single-pilot commercial operations, such that minimal risk and/or cost is added to the operator. If it's in a turbine aircraft, such as a King Air (90, 200, 350, etc.) or Pilatus (PC12) or Cessna Citation CJ1,2,3,4, or other, even better (for you)! These opportunities are most likely unpaid, and under part 91, but are completely loggable if you are rated in the airplane. Also, to obtain an SIC type (another notch on the resume belt, albeit not a very powerfull one) in an aircraft like a CJ3 is very simple, if you do find someone willing to let you occupy the right seat occasionally.

That being said, you will most likely need a second job to pay the bills (also something very common in aviation).

Third, and only if you are interested and have the desire to learn and teach, pursue all three of your CFI certificates/ratings. The initial alone will not do much for you in the long run. Also, having all of your CFI ratings is a selling point when looking for that right seat time, as many of these pilots currently pay for flight reviews/IPC's, etc. and you may be able to barter with them. But, don't become a CFI just to acquire hours. There are far too many of those pilots out there and it is doing more damage and physical harm than good.

It won't take you very long to reach the point where a 135 operator will look at you (Ameriflight, etc.), if that is the route you wish to take up the ladder. Personally, I find single-pilot IFR a bit too risky for my taste, but to each their own.

Anyway, just some words of advise from a fellow aviator.

Good Luck and God Speed!