View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 05:19 PM
2StgTurbine
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by 14CFR View Post
You, my friend, are misquoting me. Pilots are horrible readers I did not say "pay for a type rating" I implied the person should find someone who is already PIC in a single-pilot commercial operation and see if they will let you sit right-seat. It's called networking and is most likely the reason why you are a member of APC. Such opportunities exist for such aircraft as the PC12, King Air, CJ, etc. I know...I did it.
I understand you better now, but logging SIC in a single pilot aircraft is useless unless the operating certificate requires two pilots. A PC12 and King Air are out of question part 91, but a CJ is possible. Of course, possible is very different than likely. Also, to get a SIC signoff, you would have to get the owner to run through OEI procedures, and I don’t know too many owners who want to waste time in their personal aircraft to help someone build time. The effort the op would have to go through to actually get to build this time would be better spent networking to get a CFI job. A job is always better than building time. When it comes for a low time pilot to build some experience, telling them to sit right seat in a jet is blowing smoke up their a$$. Why not just tell the op to get a regional captain to walk his resume in? I am not saying it is out of the question, but let the op know the chances are slim.

And since when is PIC time from instructing useless when viewed alone? I think any PIC time after training is much better than using the radio and managing the autopilot while logging SIC.