Thread: Hawaii?
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 05:49 PM
kalyx522
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Student Pilot

Originally Posted by lckck84 View Post
Im thinking about going to Hawaii next month for vacation. Ive been to Oahu but havent been to the rest of the islands. Im looking for any info about Maui preferably. Where to stay? Places to see? Beaches to hang out? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thnx

KM
I love Maui, been there about a dozen times.
Where to stay - depends on your budget and what you are looking for in your vacation (just relax? or golf? stay near young crowds, etc.)
The nicest hotel/resorts will be found in Wailea or Kapalua. Ritz Carlton in Kapalua has absolutely beautiful grounds... rolling green hills and hammocks galore.
I've gotten $90/night deals at Mariott in Wailea through priceline.. unreal.
I would stay away from motels in Kahului unless you're budget travelling. Even Kihei.. I'm sure there are plenty of decent places there, but my personal experience was a 2-star hotel that didn't have AC. Never expected that in a tropical climate, even for a 2 star. It's true that you don't stay in your room much when you're in Hawaii, but trust me trying to sleep at night in 85 degree heat+100% humidity is not very comfortable. The one other time I stayed in Kihei was not much better.. the room was like 50 sq feet (or so it seemed.)
Places to see - the major must do's are Road to Hana and Haleakala. Driving through the west side of the island is great as well - awesome scenery, hidden lava pools, blowholes, too many others to list.
Beaches - honestly there are too many good beaches in Maui and I haven't been to one that I didn't like. Depends on what you're looking for. I pretty much just sunbathe and my favorite ones so far are Kahekili Beach Park (extremely clear waters) and Oneloa Beach (very uncrowded), both on the western side.
I would strongly recommend Andrew Doughty's "Maui Revealed." His Hawaii books are the best. If you sign up for the Borders rewards program (free) they send you pretty good coupons.