Thread: SWA vs FedEx
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 AM
dckozak
done, gone skiing

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Rocking chair

I think QOL at any job that has you sleeping during normal awake hours is hard to beat vs working at night. Clearly SWA vs FDX involves several considerations relative to lifestyle. Pax vs freight is not a SWA/FDX issues as much as the differences in the industry. Clearly some people prefer one over the other for personal reasons or (negative experiences) from the former.
I can't speak for SWA so I will have to make assumptions regarding them and speak for what I know as a Fedex pilot.
If you don't live in domicile, Fedex is probably a good as any if not better than most airlines to commute on. Why? Traveling on a Fedex freighter is a lot less hassle than dealing with TSA and the pax carriers for a seat. Ask any pax carrier pilot who as ridden on us to work. The one negative here is the main one to working here, time of day.
So the big negative to Fedex, night flying. I won't elaborate, as others have answered the question. To my mind, it is the only valid reason not to consider flying for Fedex (or UPS or any night operator).
On the plus side, I think you'll make more money here, sooner and probably will move up seats faster, but that is just a WAG based on my assumptions about the industry (SWA included).
Stability. Fedex shares the market with one other competitor, unlike any pax carrier, SWA included. If you think SWA will run roughshod over DAL in the coming years than you may have a different opinion. Time will tell.
Benefits. Hands down better here, with the exception of pass benefits. SWA does not have a deified retirement plan, just a (well funded) 401k type plan. Proof of how that matters and is a big advantage to us, read how SWA pilots worked hard to raise the age 65 retirement age after the financial meltdown 5 years ago.They didn't do because they wanted to work longer, but because thier retirement funds were badly beaten (along with all of us with money invest in the market).
Verity of flying. Hands down Fedex. Only one other place offers a comparable income and benefit package and lets you fly all over the world or stay closer to home, your choice (with seniority, of course). You will never see as much of the world flying for SWA as you will for Fedex, but I will agree, you will see (as in can see) more of the USA at SWA for no other reason than the time of day you do fly, thats a given.
Time off. Good here, if you like working longer schedules and being off for longer breaks it is available. Good for commuters. I don't know at SWA, but from what I read, pretty standard (pax) industry 3 and 4 day trips.
Pay per day of work. At Fedex you will generally make 6 to 6:20 trip hours per day. Some long haul exceptions, but figure on that. I'm lead to believe you'll make more per day (on a comparable flight hour basis) at SWA but you'll work your A** off to do it. But it will be during daylight, so that is an advantage.

I'm sure there are many other considerations, some covered better by SWA pilots or those who favor it. Good luck. If your competitive to work at either and have the inside pull at both, you are indeed in a good position. Best of luck and good hunting!!