View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 05:46 PM
wildcat1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol View Post
Don't waste your time with AMF I almost made the same mistake. AMF tells newhires about the .05% pilots that make it to xxxx airline without going thru a regional. These pilots are a statistical anomaly who either knew the CEO or got in at a time when things were much less competitive. If you don't have the hours for a regional then AMF is a great time and experience builder. Otherwise apply for the regional you will be better off. Just my 2 cents
Never, ever, ever waste your time at a regional. That was the biggest mistake of my career! You will not make captain in any thing that burns Jet A at a regional in less than 5 years. Ameriflight pilots go from Chiefton to 99 in 6 months and Metro or 1900 in another 6 months.

Majors and Fractionals don't give a rip about the size of equipment you fly. The biggest concern they have is PIC time. You will not get that at a regional unless you devote years and years of your life to them.

Now...as for AMF...here is the skinny. Health insurance is not great, but better than nothing. Pay, you know. Work 4,5 or 6 days a week, mostly nights (some day runs). Two, 3 and 4 leg days depending on run. Mx is generally good, but the a/c are still really old with lots of cycles so they will have problems. Not mx's fault, just a fact of life when flying old a/c. No gadgets either.

Don't let Burbank strong arm you into an aircraft or city you don't like. I turned down the job 3 times in one hour before they called me back with the right city and aircraft for me. If you meet the 99 minimums, keep declining the job until they offer you the 99, if you want Billings don't say yes until you get Billings. When you accept the offer be sure to ask very politely for an offer letter with the city pairing and equipment stated in the offer. They like to tell you one thing and do another.

Oh, and BTW, to the numbnuts that thinks no one from AMF goes to majors, I personally know of 2 people that went to SWA, 1 to UPS. I left for FlexJet as well as another, 2 left for NJA and all of that is out of the two easterly bases in the last year. Don't be that looser that thinks his RJ experience is king. You are an RJ pilot, as such you still have a lot to do to earn my respect. As far as I'm concerned, that is a detriment to you, not a plus.