Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 PM
fjetter
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO
Default Hiring potential with prior 121 incompletion

I posted this a few days ago in the 'Ask the pilot recruiter' thread and didn't get any responses so I thought I'd move it here. I'm looking see if people that had previous 121 initial issues are getting looked at by airlines in this latest hiring ripple.

In previous hiring wave 2007 I got hired with low time (300TT) and just quite couldn't keep up with a transport category aircraft. I resigned from training (rather than having it terminated) and never took the 121 checkride, but I have to list them as a previous employer. I went back to my flight school and instructed for 6 months and racked up another 300 hours and was able to get hired at another regional in June 2008 (pre Colgan accident).

I was successful at my second carrier's training but was subsequently furloughed two weeks into sitting reserve in Oct 2008. Since furlough I've been instructing full time for two and half years putting another 1700TT into the log book. I've since been promoted to a Chief Instructor Position at a 141 school. And passed a 135 PIC check for our charter certificate which flys very little.

Rapidly realizing I don't want to be a career instructor, although I certainly have enjoyed instructing thus far, I want to return to the regionals. My furloughed carrier still has 150ish on the furlough list with additional pending future furloughs and I'm pretty close to the bottom. So I'm looking at some of the other regionals that are hiring right now.

It hasn't been going well. I've networked and have a lot of internal recommendations at Eagle, Colgan, & Air Whiskey and I'm getting you're not qualified responses from HR. At 2300TT and 133ME with 121 completion experience, I feel I am qualified. I'm not surprised with their apprehension because how the media has attacked Colgan for the Captain's history, but I wish they would give me a shot. I know I wouldn't take anything for granted and move heaven and earth to make sure I was successful at training because if I don't my career is over.

Is anyone else in a similar scenario? I'm running out of ideas to prove to these guys I am capable. I plan on going to the next Job Fair to meet face to face with some of these guys and plead my case.

I'm also looking at Part 135 freight options because they're less Public Relations influenced when it comes to hiring to get some multi PIC because my school doesn't have any twins.

Anybody got any advice?

This turned into a much longer post than anticipated, anyone still reading thank you