View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 04:43 AM
tsquare
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
The SERPS were put into place almost 4 years after we set the pay standards on the new equipment and a full year after 911 when it was then becoming apparent that the airline industry was in deep trouble. The time line makes no sense. As a side note the company attempted to keep the Serps secret and their existence did not come out until the 03 annual report. There were put into place in late 02. They attempted to bury the info deep in the report but it eventually came out. There was a clear intent to deceive on the companies part.
Why doesn't it make sense? Do you think that the companies' business decisions are made on the spot? Management (contrary to popular belief) is not making plans for next week.. They are looking a long way down the road. They understand the trends. If you don't buy my argument.. even a little... why do you think LM gave us those payrates? It may not have been his ulterior motive, but I'll bet he thought about it at some point. Or do you think our negotiators were really that good? But you bolster my point somewhat when you say that the industry was in trouble when the SERPS were conceived... at that point, LM and the biyatch had NOTHING to lose...

And what was the association's response?