Thread: SWA vs FedEx
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Pinchanickled
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: CRJ - Hell Hole

I think this thread has alot of merit and definently helps us younger guys steer towards a career goal that would suit the individual best. To each their own is true. Noone can honestly say that FedEx is better than SWA, or SWA is better than FedEx. There are alot of points that nobody has mentioned yet. Can some of the senior FedEx and SWA pilots chime in on please?

There's a value to everything. We have discussed primarly inside the cockpit. What about outside the cockpit? What about having the amenities of the passenger terminals? I've jumpseated through FedEx in Memphis before and would describe it as a huge warehouse with a waiting area inside. The passenger terminals have a vast array of restaurants to choose from, Chinese, BBQ, Sandwiches, sushi, etc. Spending your breaks at a restaurant during daytime hours while reading a wall street journal perhaps is alot more fun than spending your break from midnight to 2:00am eating popcorn at the FedEx building where you can't buy anykind of newspaper or magazine.

What about destinations? As American's do we really want to have a long layover in some far off Asian city where nobody speaks english? Or rather have a layover in a Vegas? Do the FedEx layovers give you time during "normal hours" to go out and enjoy yourself?

Passengers do complain, and they do entertain. I think this boils down to your personal preferences. I prefer being around people, call me a people person.

Boarding through a jetbridge is another perk. Although a minor minor perk, it still has value.When I have commuted on FedEx, having to walk out to a plane, and then climb a movable stairway into a non-heated jet at 3:00am was not my idea of "fun".... I hope you can see the picture I'm painting, passenger terminals are created for passenger comfort, pilots get to partake in this comfort. The FedEx mega-warehouse isn't designed for box comfort if you catch my drift. With the

Both companies are rock solid financially. Both companies have a fantastic business plan that will bring more growth. FedEx pays more than SWA, but by trivial amounts. Both companies pay their pilots lots of money that will classify them as "rich" when compared to the rest of Americans. Don't do it for the money, do it for what is a more enjoyable job.

Doing a job for money and time off is not a healthy reason to do a job. Doing a job because you enjoy it will help your mental health and physical health prosper. Some people truely don't want to come in contact with humans and just board a cargo plane and blast off. Others enjoy meeting passengers, the conversations, etc.

Last edited by Pinchanickled; 01-11-2011 at 06:20 AM.