View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Great Cornholio
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

I have read pretty much every reply and only have little bit to add. Just like everywhere this thread has had some good advice and some bad advice.

The 168TT doesn't really bother me. Amount or (lack of) flight time does not kill people in airplanes. Attitude and "size of ego/balls" kills people in planes. The only thing that concerns me about this guy was when he was talking smack about being able to take on more demanding flights than we give him credit for. This is a dangerous road to travel down and has ended up in more than a few smoking holes in the ground. Maybe it came across different than he meant when he typed it, but to me it made him come across as he thought of himself as a skygod. Now get the attitude fixed and no matter what you do CFI, traffic watch, freight dog, etc never ever fly out of your comfort zone.

Now for the advice...

Get CFI CFII and MEI. If you can't instruct in all of the planes the school has then you will lose out on flight time and students.

At first realize that as a new CFI your teaching style will be rough and that your first few students will not get the high quality instruction that your later students will get. With this being said it may be good for the first few students to be sent on more often flights with other CFI's. IE 1/2 way thru the stage and then the stage check instead of just the stage check. After the student flies with the other CFI talk to the other CFI and see what they thought of your student. This will add amazing insight from a 3rd party about your teaching skills and can show your strengths and weaknesses.

Does anyone of the OP ended up passing the CFI ride?