View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 PM
frmrdashtrash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Upright

Originally Posted by DashGirl View Post
* PDT has AQP for our training program. Though AQP is well liked at other companies it is extremely difficult to deal with at PDT. Training here is extremely hard..period..Especially for new hires. The Training Dept. Mgt is very "old school". If you have even a sliver of slacker in you, if you don't have the AJ squared away super jar head POH and FOM robot cyborg mentality you will likely NOT pass initial, and you need to have extremely solid IFR skills already, they will not train you. I am a slacker by nature. I had to make significant adjustments to my mentality to get through initial. It was extremely challenging. Last few new-hire classes before they furloughed had a better than 40% wash out rate. Essentially we do not have a training department. We have an Evaluation department. Everything is basically self study. Your sim sessions will include little actual instruction. It will be endless repeats of..."okay you screwed that up, let's do it again till you get it right, and BTW, if we don't get through everything in the time allotted you fail." We actually have some great instructors. But they are rarely allowed to actually instruct. The PDT AQP program is structured this way intentionally. Trng dept managers believe in instruction via intimidation. They feel if you are not a natural and perfect Dash 8 pilot you don't belong at Piedmont. I have never failed any training event at Piedmont and I still hate going to training. I'd rather be whipped with a bamboo stick then step foot in the training center bldg ever again! Most pilots here feel exactly the same way...Don't misunderstand me, they are not mean or rude. In fact, they are exceptionally professional in their demeanor and even pleasant at times. But they demand a level of consistent performance from you that would even intimidate an Air Force Eagle driver or Navy Super Hornet jock!. It's a very unreasonable environment. Especially for a low-time new-hire.
I have to call BS on this one. PDT training just isn't that difficult if you bring a willingness to learn, good attitude, and solid instrument skills. It's been that way for the last several years. If you come in lacking in those 3 cores, you may not be successful in initial. If you come in without them, but develop them in training, you'll sweat a lot, but pass. Likewise, if you are a weak pilot, you will not pass. As it should be.....

There are entirely too many good and hard working check airmen the training dept to not come on here and call you out on that comment. They are there to "demand a level of consistent performance......". If you cannot provide that I suggest you resign and pursue a career that is less demanding.

You are spot on with the rest of your post, but I suggest you look for ways to improve yourself after reading your summation of the training department. They aren't perfect, but not as you describe if you are prepared for training.