Thread: PDT News and Rumors

DashGirl , 01-14-2011 05:43 PM
DashGirl
close
Quote: I can certainly live with that. I'll agree that the top of the training dept could use some adjustment, but I have to say that the challenges in PDT newhire training are largely due to the experience levels of the pilots being hired. It was that way when I went through 2000 years ago. Those of us with turbine time were hanging out in the bar after class and passed our tests without too much sweat while those without studied hard and squeaked by.

Other airlines adjusted their training departments to cater to low experience, no turbine time newhires. Piedmont did not.

When you go through another airlines' program you'll get to see the true strength and weaknesses of the PDT program.
I agree with all of that post for certain. I actually feel we more or less have the same opinion albeit mine expressed more harshly.

Overall, it seems like the two unnamed aforementioned individuals seem to think they are running, or wish they were running a military jet training squadron vs a TP regional training program. I've often felt that the primary problem is that it's been the total failure of both of them to achieve any sort of distinguished success in their careers and that they take it out on the whole pilot group. Both of them should have been senior training guys with 15 years command experience on a heavy jet by now. One must wonder, was it perhaps their attitude that kept them here?

I mean c'mon , keeping the AQP manual Top Secret is just plain immature and absurd. If it's a fair policy, and it's a fair program, and it's CBA complaint, then what do they have to hide?

My examples of favoritism I can't really get into without naming names. But I can say that in my domicile we have C/A's that have an excellent relationship with training, never failed a checkride that have no business being in command of a transport category aircraft or even a Cessna for that matter. Yet year after year they pass recurrent. Then we have guys I fly with that teach me more in one leg then I've learned in totality from my TD experiences that just because of one bad sim ride and disagreement with an instructor are constantly special tracked or at the extreme: forced to downgrade. This is a bit of an exaggerated euphemism but the TD wants pilots that can academically fly the perfect sim. They have no use for pilots that can actually fly airplanes. Forced downgrade is actually very uncommon in the industry at large, yet at PDT, it's not. What does that say: We have a training dept that simply has a higher level of standard then the rest of the industry? Or does it say the standard our training department has is too high?

Quote: DashGirl! You're back! Or are you...?
I never left. I've just been in a real bad mood for the last year, no, make the last Four and haven't felt like posting. I'm really not going to do so that often, just the PDT hiring thing made me chime in. I wanted to get the word out to any potential new hire to steer clear of this place.