Thread: Eagle Commuting
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 PM
JT8D
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by sham8723 View Post
Ok, If I may inject a question in here (since I haven't figured out how to start a new thread yet) that I think should be pertinent to the topic. Is the typical schedule (other than reserve) always 4 on 3 off? I'm considering commuting from TYS (Knoxville, TN) to maybe ORD (assuming I can get ORD as a domicile). If I did this: would there be any good estimate as to how much off time I would lose to commuting? I mean like is it risky to catch an evening flight the day before i'm supposed to be @ work so I can retain at least some of the day at home or am I gonna be grabbing a morning flight the day before and losing the whole day to commuting? Hopefully this is a somewhat answerable question... i basically know nothing about anything at this point

oh... let me layer on another question: Are pilots able to claim hotel points for themselves when staying at hotels while on Eagle trips?
Thx.
Typical schedules for lineholders can range anywhere from daytrips to 4 on 3 off. The daytrip lines typically go relatively senior so you wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck with those as a junior commuter. Reserve lines are typically 5-6 days on with 2-3 off and while on reserve you'll only get 11 days off per month.

With something like 6 flights per day, TYS to ORD is a completely viable commute. Like others have said, as long as you comply with the commuter policy your ass is covered. When I was on reserve I was able to make my commute work with fewer flights per day than you'd have and I only had to use the commuter policy once because of a massive event being held in town. Because our reserve callout time is only 2 hours you wouldn't be able to head home while sitting reserve unfortunately... unless you decided to get ballsy, take the risk and run (totally possible but not recommended while on probation). Being a lineholder makes it far easier and commutable trips (trips which start late on the first day end early on the last day) are not hard to come by in ORD. I've gotten into the habit of commuting up to work the evening prior to my trip just because it usually allows me to sleep later and not have to stress about making that last flight out before my sign in time. Unless there was some serious weather there's no reason you should have to leave any earlier than the afternoon prior.

As for your last question, I have no idea, I've never tried