View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Rudabega
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: Flight Instructor

I currently work at Yute Air. It is a decent place to work, however it is all ASEL time. Nothing to upgrade into.

We have 12 207's and a 172. Everyone is based out of Bethel where the company provides pilot housing and transportation. Everyone rides to and from work together.

The payscale is a bit complex but in a nutshell new guys get $180 per day with a $200 bonus per shift if you work hard. With former AK time and 135 experience comes higher payscales. Most work 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off but other schedules are considered.

Maint is great, I have been very happy with the mechanics. If something is wrong with your plane you bring it in and jump in another plane. If there are no other planes (never had the problem) you collect your day rate.

Safety is what you make of it. In ground school they will say "You will never be punished for turning around." After the first hundred times they say it you will get the idea that we want you to do the right thing and keep yourself and your passengers safe. Anyone can be a yes man, I get paid to do the hard thing and tell people no.

We do not have CASS, we do have a cabin only agreement with Alaska Airlines and most of the in state airlines.

The flying is great. With the exception of Bethel everything is gravel, short and narrow. While many people would consider that anything but great I love it.