View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Frozen Ronin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Still Swinging props!

Due Dilligence, brothers. Do your homework. Always look at your prospective employers as hard as they look at you. In the 135 world, that's imperative, especially in Alaska. Find out what your prospective employer's safety record is. Have they lost their Director of Maintenance or Chief pilot recently? Why? Have they had any fatalities? How many aircraft pieces decorate the tundra? Look for violations or fines against them. Beyond your own safety, protecting that license you worked so hard to get is important. "Yes" answers usually mean others have already lost their certificates, or had certificate actions while under their employ. Be careful.

Look around... there's lots of operators up here. Just 'cuz someone offers you the job doesn't mean you should take it. Know what you're getting into.

On the plus side, working up here is amazing, and should be required boot camp for all fresh aviators. If the fit was really hitting the sham, and I had my family in a plane, I'd take a Bethel pilot over a military guy any day. No offense to the military guys. We see plenty of military guys come up after retirement.... they know what I'm talking about. You will gain skills and confidence that will serve you well through out the rest of your career.

Happy hunting,
Ronin