View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 07:57 PM
snippercr
Does NOT get weekends off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145

Originally Posted by Bellanca View Post
Sadly, illegal/questionable or not, this type of thing is going to be happening more often as the price of fuel/aircraft rental keeps rising and as hiring minimums go up.
Right now we are seeing a drop in minimums actually. This might spur more people to do time building things, especially as multi-engine requirements drop. 500 hours ME I doubt anyone could afford, even if split. However, 100 multi engine split (especially if one already has 30-40) is a bit more manageable. The ATP rule is coming up which will drive minimums back up, but there is still some hiring that will occur between now and then.

We are still struggling with one of the worst recessions in quite a few years, yet already airlines are hiring and lowering their minimums. Eagle originally wanted 1000TT/200ME and they are already down to 800/100. And these are the hours people are getting hired at too (in this case, preferred = competitive)!

My multi is a little higher than most fresh out of training, but still short of the 100 hour mark. Considering once I got the 100 I would be at Eagle's min, it's mighty tempting. Unfortunately at this point in the game, I have a REAL hard time PAYING for hours when eventually I will be PAID to fly. So my morals are keeping me from doing it. Are they keeping me from getting a job? Yes (well I should say meeting the mins). Is this a good or bad thing? I'll let you know in a few years. Stay tuned!