View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 PM
CANAM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: 1986 LeBaron Convertable
Default Multi-Crew Ratings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just started doing some research on the Multi-Crew Pilot Ratings that many countries are either already doing, researching or implementing. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I see this as a serious threat to our industry and careers.

In short, this "license" takes people with zero flight experience and trains them over 15 months to fly as First Officers in large jet aircraft in a multi-crew environment. The process is done almost entirely in a variety of flight simulators.

My fear is that this will fill any potential shortage of pilots with relatively cheap and completely inexperienced people very very quickly. Becoming a qualified airline applicant takes time and dedication. This "license" requires neither and makes the "easy of entry" into the right seat very easy, thus flooding the market with cheap labor.

Where do ALPA and other unions stand on this issue? I don't know. This could do more damage than the regional jet and bring SJS to a whole new level. This needs to be addressed and eliminated right now.
THERE WILL NEVER BE A SHORTAGE OF CANDIDATES FOR WELL PAYING JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll leave you with this: Here's a newly minted class for FlyBe in the U.K.. Are you scared yet? SJS to the max, but with zero experience.

Last edited by CANAM; 01-24-2011 at 03:33 PM.