View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
forgot to bid
veut gagner à la loterie

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Light Chop

Originally Posted by FORTL View Post
Level D can't simulate the real ice on the real airplane in the real turbulence beating the real excrement out of you on the crosswind ILS final to Podunk, which didn't have ATC to line you up. Oh, and all of that after the 9 hour commute to get to work.
I'm sure the training is good, and, a healthy dose of real world experience would finish it up nicely. Experience puts tools in the bag that you can't buy at the sim store.

Just my humble opinion.
True, but we're talking Part 121 right? I haven't seen ice in years.

Years. I was based in CLE and EWR btw. You see ice on the walkaround. The jet I used to fly turned the ice on for you, that's how you knew you were in ice because the pack kicked off. Now, I have to turn it on when the nut on the windshield wiper gets some. Then I turn it on.

Now in a sim you get to do every approach to mins. Sims can shake your teeth lose btw during windshear training if the instructor has the stomach for it. You can do lots and lots of those fun full VOR approaches in the mountains of Mexico and when that gets boring, partial panel, single engine, engine fires, thrust reverser door open or prop won't feather, on and on.

Sims are a great way to do training because you can do a lot over and over again. 18 V1 cuts in an hour and half!!