Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 PM
BoeingJetDriver
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: 757/767 FO
Default Two cents worth on USAF snooping at Air Inc.

Point 1:
"A USAF LTC from Personnel attended the Sep Air Inc conference in DC."

Another rocket scientist from AFPC (MPC for us older types) who is there to "gather" info to be used in 5-8 years when the AF is drastically short of aviators (and the Lt Col is long retired). If you stay around long enough (20th year here combined USAF/USAFR rated and non-rated service) you will see the pendulum swing back and forth. In 1989 there were no UPT slots to be had on active duty, the pilot production went from 1500 to 500 pilots, two UPT bases closed (Willie and Reese), then the pendulum swung to increased production, now we are paying folks big $ to leave.....hmmm a swinging we will go.....as in the pendulum. Pay attention you youngsters....it will swing again. Just be prepared to take advantage of it based upon your situation.

Point 2:

"TALKING PAPER ON AIR INC. AIRLINE PILOT CAREER SEMINAR TRIP REPORT

* Day-long presentation was opened by Mr. Kit Darby, President of Air Inc, the recognized standard-bearer in airline industry hiring consultation"

Once again, my two cents. Kit Darby is a lot of hot air. "Blah blah blah, I have interviewed at 10, 12, is it 15 airlines" now Kit. Oh well, when UAL was king of the hill in '97-'00 Kit was the Font of Knowledge. He was known to say that one would be better off as an FO at a regional carrier than a 727 FE about to upgrade to 727 FO with lots of jet time from USAF/USAFR heavy squadron. Bad advice Kit.......
Fast forward 10 years, UAL not the king of the heap again. I have 8000+ hours, USAF command wings, solid job as a 757 FO at your friendly brown cargo hauler, hmmmm guess my way worked out ok in the end.
Lessons learned....listen to your gut and dont take the words of a " recognized standard bearer" for the only one true path to a good career in this business.
Lou Smith from FAPA days has lots more integrity than Mr. Darby ever thought about having in my opinion. Just my two cents........YMMV.