View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Malter
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Soon to be set free

Originally Posted by JohnnyViper View Post
Call me naive or ignorant or whatever you choose, but it blows my mind when some of you guys shout "READ IT!!!" and almost use that phrase as an insult. I read the last one, I read the one before that, I've read the LOAs that come our way, but I'm no dorky lawyer and I don't know what a lot of that stuff means. I especially can't find the hidden loopholes (I can't find the hidden money, either) and I can't find the little nuggets that the management guys hid in there for themselves. That's why, at least in my opinion, we are paying the union guys.

I will read this TA, but I'm not going to see the things that will hang us. If any of you had been told what the company was going to do with 4A2b, would you have voted for the last one with that gem in there? I specifically remember the last one and emailing my rep and asking for "some plain language bullets" put out by the union and they didn't want to do that. "Just read it". It really POs me to think of those guys last time strutting around saying "Read it! Read it!" while the company lawyers were trying to hold there laughter in.

So for you guys that are barking "Read it!", just remember that people are reading it, but that doesn't mean that we understand all the ramifications and details. Saying that repeatedly may stifle some discussion. And before I get both barrels in the face, allow me to repeat, I do read the everything the union sends us. I even try not to use it to wipe the drool off my face.
JohnnyViper is spot on. The only way most of us really learn what the contract says, is to have been burned by it. There's a reason the SUB chase-through chart is in the pocket calendar. Because reading the text makes ZERO sense to non-attorneys. (and apparently the 4a.2b language didn't make enough sense to our ALPA attorneys either).
Somebody smart needs to give us knuckle draggers (which is most of us), some plain English language explaining the changes. Maybe some of you "READ IT!" types might take the time to enlighten the rest of us.