Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 AM
Jetjok
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by wally24 View Post
Does anyone find the 12 year contract excessive for a pilot? I have been looking into it pretty seriously, but the contract is pretty intimidating considering my age. I want to fly, but it seems that some of you are happy you are out and not flying for the air force any more. Is the guard really the best way to go?

Maybe I was unclear, 2 years UPT + 10 Years active duty= 12 years total. Still seems very long though.
It's true then, guys have gotten much stupider these last few years, if they are taking two years to finish UPT. I sort of figured that out a while ago, just by observing the new hires. Seriously, unless they've change the hell out of UPT, it's still right about 52 weeks.

It seems to me that even before you've signed up for military service, you're dissing it. My suggestion to you is to NOT join the military. After all, it requires maturity, perseverance, and a willingness to endure untold hardships. Maybe you could become a senator or congressmen and have a hand in changing the 12 year commitment that the Air Force currently has. Then, you could join, let them spend a million dollars on you, while you learn to fly, while all the time knowing you're only in it for your log book.

As far as the Air Guard is concerned, that too has a commitment. As well, you would be competing with guys just off active duty, with 2 or 3 thousand hours of jet time. Guard slots are very valuable and most Guard units tend to hire someone with flying experience, and today many candidates are combat rated in the units aircraft. While it's true that Guard units do send guys (and gals) away to UPT, the vast majority of these folks had enlisted in the Guard previously. It's one of the ways that a unit shows that it values its enlisted members, and is a big selling point to enlistees, and as such, each opening is hotly sought after. Again, why would they give that slot to an outsider?

I'd recommend that you get your licenses and then spend time instructing in light aircraft to build your time, then getting hired at some low paying flight job, with the hopes of building enough time to get an interview with a major airline. That should take you, oh, maybe 6 years.

Your comment, "I want to fly, but it seems that some of you are happy you are out and not flying for the air force any more." suggests that you've not done enough research in the matter. There are always guys who are either happy or not, anywhere. A few years ago (pre-9/11) we had captains at FedEx telling new hires to "get out and get on with a real airline." These were captains, making a lot of money, not working all that hard, and still being unhappy.

At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide to do. There are shortcomings with everything and it is indeed a tough decision. But I can honestly say that with 3500 hours of jet fighter time, I never once disliked what I was doing. You might surprise yourself.